Events and resources to send all ages back to school
It’s the first week of school in Montgomery County, and we hope you’ll tuck the MCPL schedule — and, of coursek your library card — in everyone’s backpack!
Check our events calendar for the usual array of fun and educational activities for all ages. Check out these special BTS-time events:
Various dates & branches:
Montgomery College Outreach, Gaithersburg & Wheaton
How to Use Ebooks at Little Falls Library
Graphic Novel Book Club at Marilyn J. Praisner
Teen English Conversation Club, Virtual Branch
Financial Literacy for Teens at White Oak Library
Resume Workshop for Teens & Young Adults at Brigadier General Charles E. McGee Library
Teen Entrepreneur’s Club at White Oak Library
Unlocking the Door to Education: A Comprehensive Guide to Scholarships
Tuesday, 9/19 at Rockville Memorial Library with Community 2 Classroom
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a fun way to help prepare your child for Kindergarten. For every book you read (yes, repeats count!), your child can color in a shell on the coloring sheet. In addition, anytime you sing a song, do a fingerplay, read a poem, etc., your child can color in a shell for each activity! Sign up and log activity!
Teen Advisory Boards
Teens can practice leadership skills, build community and earn SSL hours by participating in Teen Advisory Boards (TAB) at their closest branch. Learn more about TABs and get involved
Lots of online databases available with your MCPL card to assist students of all ages with research, tutoring, test prep and writing assistance.
Career Online High School
Earn an accredited high school diploma and career certification online through Career Online High School (COHS). We look forward to helping you achieve your educational and career goals. Applicants who successfully complete an online self-assessment and a two-week prerequisite course, followed by an in-person interview, will be considered for a free seat to attend Career Online High School.
We have a limited number of free seats, enabling successful applicants to enroll in the program free of charge. Please email the library at: MCPL.COHS@montgomerycountymd.gov to request more information and next steps.
Once enrolled, COHS pairs each student with an academic coach, who provides the student with an individual career path, offers ongoing guidance, evaluates performance and connects the student with the resources needed to master the courses. Students are given up to 18 months to complete the program.
Learn more about how it works.
Live online tutoring, homework help, test prep and writing assistance for customers of all ages.
This resource requires a library card to use it.
Choose from thousands of online courses to learn in-demand skills from real-world industry experts. Get started with your MCPL card.
With Northstar, you can improve your basic digital literacy skills in 3 areas:
- Essential Computer Skills– Basic Computer Skills, Internet Basics, Using Email, Windows 10, Mac OS
- Essential Software Skills– Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Using Technology in Daily Life– Social Media, Information Literacy, K-12 Distance Learning Support, Career Search Skills, Your Digital Footprint
- Take a NorthStar Digital Literacy Assessment to gauge your basic digital skill level
- Access NorthStar Online Learning, to study on your own, online — through instructor-guided Northstar lessons
- Earn digital badges and certificates to add to a resume or show an employer.
- Want your learning progress, assessment results, digital badges, and certificates stored in one place and accessible to you 24/7? Request a Northstar learner account!
Happy Back to School 2023-2024! We’ll see you at the Library!